From my journal after Grandma passed away:
Last week I received the news that Grandma Rawlins would soon be passing. How grateful I felt that just a couple weeks previously we had been in town and able to visit her. Each of our kids had been able to give her a hug and hold her hand. She did not look well or comfortable so the news really was a blessing. 102 years old, a full life lived! It was time to say goodbye to this earthly life and her body which just couldn't take it anymore. Yesterday it was a blessing to be able to travel down to Arizona for her funeral. Unfortunately timing wasn't perfect and Keith had already planned to be out of town during this time. His trip had been scheduled for months and involved other people including his brother Craig. It would have been very difficult to get out of it. I told Keith it was best if he went away on his trip and that Tays and I would fly down to the funeral and we'd leave KK in charge at home, with Nana's help. First of all, I loved having Tays with me! I knew she would enjoy being at the service and celebrating grandma's life. Tayler has always had such a big heart. The past couple years she has helped lead out in organizing Christmas performances for grandmas home which always included singing and dancing. Tays has always been so gentle and sweet with grandma. I was so happy to have Tays with me. We flew out at 5:45 am (leaving the house at 3:00am) and flew back into town at 10:00pm that night so it was a whirlwind of a trip. The other great thing about leaving KK in charge was just how excited she was about it! It amazes me what she can do at only the age of 13! She assured me again and again that she had everything under control and that I wasn't to worry about anything while I was gone. She instructed me not to have anything prepared for her, that she wanted full responsibility of taking care of the 3 boys, the home, the cooking, and the scheduling/organizing. The boys all happened to have basketball games that day so KK needed a little help with driving, but other than that she had things under control. Nana helped get the boys to their games and in between she would drop them off at home where KK would fully run the show, packing water bottles and snacks for their games, laying out their uniforms, every detail imagined. She is going to be one organized mother, it comes very natural to her! I guess all that time loving on her American Girl Dolls paid off : ) She loves to cook, clean, organize, lead, and run her own show, and that she did! How blessed I felt yesterday to have one daughter happy to come with me and another daughter happy to stay home and help! I am blessed with two incredible daughters, very different from one other, but equally amazing. Love them both with all my heart and am so proud of who they are becoming. When Tays and I got home around midnight KK was tucked into bed with her brothers and she left a note behind telling me to go right to bed and not to worry about any dishes left behind or any messes. Well, it had been a long day so I had no problem heading right to bed. When I woke up the next morning KK had set her alarm early and had cleaned the entire house! Seriously though, she's 13! There is not a more responsible or driven 13 year old on the planet, I'm sure of it!
So Tays and I were fully able to enjoy our day in Arizona knowing KK was in charge at home. We arrived just in time for the family viewing that morning. Grandma truly looked beautiful! So natural, and at peace. It felt so good to give my mom a big hug, turned out we showed up wearing matching dresses. The service was perfect. I loved hearing about grandmas life and being reminded of all that she had endured, and with such faith. I can't imagine going through the hardships that she faced. She will forever be an example to me. She taught that whatever you put your mind to, you can do! She was a hard worker and so talented! She passed that along to mom. Mom is the hardest worker I know, along with the most talented person I know. During grandmas final years, I admired the way mom took such good care of grandma. She visited her everyday, never once did mom ever make it feel like it was a burden to her. Even at the end, when grandma wasn't able to communicate or do much for herself anymore I watched, as mom loved and cared for grandma, painting her nails, rubbing her feet, and just being there with her. All the time spent in grandmas home she ended up befriending everyone else in grandmas home as well. Mom was so gentle and loving. It was moving to see these tender moments occur. I feel blessed to have witnessed such love and devotion shown. I feel forever grateful in this life to a have a testimony that families are eternal and forever grateful for grandmas example!
No comments:
Post a Comment