Sunday, November 24, 2013

food

Lately Keith and I have been pretty excited about food. I mean I guess we've always loved good food, but I think we've recently realized just what a great area we live in when it comes to finding local fresh food! The summers are amazing here in Washington! You can find fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and corn everywhere! The view from our backyard of the blueberry fields is my absolute favorite!
This Fall it's been so fun to go pick apples and visit the pumpkin patches that are also full of every kind of squash imaginable! We are kinda loving the access we have to all these farms and farmers markets in the area.
We were pretty excited last weekend about spending an afternoon in Bellingham to check out the Farmers market there and to bring the kids and get them excited about the fresh food too! Kinley was busy at Nutcracker rehearsals,  so we packed up everyone else and set out to check it out. We spent the afternoon sampling raw honey, wood fired pizza, pickled blueberries, locally picked apples with natural homemade peanut butter. It was a good time!
We've had a lot of fun with food at our house lately! Keith and I have been doing a lot of cooking together and it has been such a good time!  Just to name a few fun and delicious new things we've tried lately at our house: home made ravioli, home made donuts, and corn tortillas. We've also been trying to make more of an effort to make healthy food choices for our family and have tried to center a lot of our meals around the "paleo" way of thinking, which has added new recipes as well! I have a muffin recipe that is basically bananas, almond flour, blueberries, ground up dates, shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, applesauce, and a little bit of coconut oil. I have say when I see Drew chowing them down, it feels pretty good. Anyway, I'm glad I'm married to someone who enjoys good food as much as I do!
 





















No comments: