Wednesday, January 30, 2008


So with pregnancy definitely comes the NEED to "NEST"! This has happened every pregnancy with me and all of a sudden a couple nights ago it HiT me. It was almost 10:00 at night and I felt this uncontrolable need to empty out every drawer and cabinet in my house and clean, organize, and declutter. It made for a LATE night! Immediately I made my list of must get done PRONTOS! The whole nesting thing is quite funny, the most random things become so urgent! I have a tendency to become a little obsessive as well, just ask Keith... By the next day I had gone through all the kids clothes and toys, all the boxes in the garage, organized my family album and got caught up on the I don't know how many pics that I had still yet to get printed, bought a new comforter/sheets for the girls bed and decided on a new paint color to paint their room along with a new dresser, bought all sorts of bins for reorganizing ( oh how nice it would be to have Steph Weaver as my personal organizer!!! ) By the end of the next day it felt fabulous to have the back of my car filled with things to drop off at goodwill! I'm just getting started! I'm sure many of you mommas out there can relate!

I decided to see look up "NEsting" and here's a little bit of what I found: ( I have yet to get out the iron, but you never know..)

Females of the animal kingdom are all equipped with this same need. It is a primal instinct. Just as you see BiRdS making their nests, mothers-to-be do exactly the same thing. The act of nesting puts you in control and gives a sense of accomplishment toward birth. You may become a homebody and want to retreat into the comfort of home and familiar company, like a brooding hen.

Nesting brings about some unique and seemingly irrational behaviors in pregnant women and all of them experience it differently. Women have reported throwing away perfectly good sheets and towels because they felt the strong need to have "brand new, clean" sheets and towels in their home. They have also reported doing things like taking apart the knobs on kitchen cupboards, just so they could disinfect the screws attached to the knobs. Women have discussed taking on cleaning their entire house, armed with a toothbrush. There seems to be no end to the lengths a nesting mother will go to prepare for her upcoming arrival.


This unusual burst of energy is responsible for women ironing anything in the house that couldn't out run them. Being preoccupied with ant killing, squishing them one at a time for weeks on end. Packing and unpacking the labor bag 50 times. Cleaning the kitchen cupboards and organizing everything by size to the point that you make sure the silverware patterns match when it's stacked in the cutlery drawer. Sorting the baby's clothes over and over again is a favorite theme. Taking them out of the drawers and re-folding them, putting them away and doing it over and over again. Nesting will provide interesting stories for years to come.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! But SOOO true! Man, I wish I was prego so I could get all those things done! Have fun!

Brittney said...

So true~ when i was pregnant with libby everything was neat and organized. its so interesting how we get the urge to "nest" before a baby. if only we got the urge more often! i am the same way though, if i get the bright idea, i have to do it RIGHT NOW, even if now is 10pm! lol. are you going to decorate the babies room with neutral colors? i love the feeling of a clean organized CLOSET! even if you look in that closet 2x a week!

Brett and Lisa said...

Weird thing - that nesting... I don't think that I experienced it so much. Probably because we were in our little, gross NYC apartment and I didn't want to touch much :)! We'll see what happend next time... when are you due again? Are we going to see you at Katie's wedding?

Blondie Blues said...

Lyns, I've been going through the same thing the last two months. It comes and goes, but when it comes I get a little CRAZY (Bob's words). I love that we are so much a like that way and just keep going until it's done. BEST FEELING to get rid of stuff! Your the best! Love, Deb

Stacie said...

I think that's half Nesting Sydrome, half White Girl Syndrome.

When we finally decide to get something done- IT GETS DONE.

Ask Shanna, the culprit who threw away all the American Girl Dolls, Children's Ski Gear, and over-sized tee shirts that were sewn together. Can you believe her?

Steph Weaver said...

Lyns, you are so funny! Unfortunately for me, I nest all the time whether I am pregnant or not. And I totally understand the obsessive urgency of things too. Sounds like you got a lot done and in a short amount of time, good for you. It really does feel so good to "get rid of"! I make almost a weekly trip to DI!

Jacque said...

this post is hysterical. it's amazing to me what a pregnant nesting woman can accomplish in a very short amount of time. i remember having to wash all of cohen's laundry many, many times and then fold it over and over before i felt settled... if only i would nest like that now. my house would be much less cluttered!

Brooklyn said...

hah! That is so funny! Good for you getting things done. There is NO greater feeling! You can come over here and "nest" my house!

Chelsea said...

ha! I WISH!! I am feeling so opposite of that, good incentive for us all to get pregnant! I agree there is such a great feeling when you are decluttered & organized!

Camp Directors said...

I know what that is like. Cru is 8 months old and I am still NESTINTG!! :)

Mary and Ryan said...

I have been nesting like crazy too! So funny!

Swirls of Happy said...

This is so funny, I LOVE that part of the pregnancy thing because you can get so much done! If you still have the urge to clean and organize you can come over to my house!!!

Anonymous said...

i'm sure not prego, but nesting sounds like fun! you got me motivated to do a little organizing myself!