Sunday, August 17, 2014

Last week we took the family on a day hike up to Sauk Mountain. In order to get to the trail head you first have to take an 8 mile unpaved road which is all uphill... this was not very easy on our van. I was a bit nervous when our van overheated and it felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, with no service, and a car full of kids. Of course Keith was calm as can be and part of our crew started walking towards the trailhead while Keith stayed with the van until it was all rested up. Just making it to the trailhead felt like an adventure, but once we got there I had no idea just how incredible the hike was going to actually be! The views were so stunning, an entire mountain side was covered in wildflowers! It was not only beautiful, but pretty challenging for the kids as well. I think Keith knew it would be a little bit of a challenge, so before we even left that morning he made home made cinnamon rolls and told the kids that whoever was going to hike that day without complaining could eat a cinnamon roll. well...  since they had already eaten their cinnamon roll by the time we actually started hiking, it required another bribe with ice cream as well to get everyone to the top with the least amount of complaining. Luckily Keith was able to pack Drew on his back the entire hike, so we didn't have to worry about Drew... although I have no idea how Keith did it! I would have seriously died before I would have made it with drew on my back! Good thing Keith is tough like that : )
It was an incredible afternoon and the perfect sort of thing we love to do with our family! We missed Tays who was off at girls camp!
 
 
















 








1 comment:

Grapefruit said...

So, so beautiful. Looks like Switzerland! I took some of my kids and couple of my nieces hiking up Sundance in July and it looked just like this. So green, wildflowers everywhere, even patches of snow. But it was a challenging hike for the little kids. I definitely had to throw in a "anyone who hikes without whining gets dessert at Sundance after" bribe. Pretty much, that worked, although, I did have to piggy back Jane on the way back...on top of having a massively sprained ankle. Good times. But we made it. And it was wonderful. And the dessert cost me $80 but oh so worth it. :)